Durbin Creek Spirit Rock
The rock is located in front of the main school entrance. The rock can be reserved to paint birthday announcements, congratulations, good luck, or other messages for the school community to see. The reservation fee is $20 (non-refundable) which gives the purchaser the ability to paint the rock at the appointed date/time and the rock will remain unchanged for a 1 day period. Please review the Explorer Rock Guidelines before making a reservation.
You may start painting the rock at 4:00pm on the day before your reserved date(s). (i.e. If you reserved the rock for a Tuesday, you may start painting at 4:00pm on Monday evening.) The school gates will be locked at 8pm daily. Therefore, you will need to paint the rock between 4pm to 8pm the day prior to your reservation. Rock reservation for Monday should be painted the prior Friday between 4pm to 8pm.
Due to school holidays, some days are not available.
Reserve Your Date (Opens August 1)
Spirit Rock Guidelines
- All reservations are made online only through our reservation system. Reservations will go live around August 1st each year. However, an official announcement will go on our school's PTO Facebook page once the reservation system is live for the new school year. So make sure you are a follower of our Facebook page to receive the latest updates.
- When the online system opens, all school days will be listed for reservation.
- Reservations are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Please keep in mind, that the earlier you make your reservation, the more likely you are to secure your desired date(s). Additionally, there are typically 180 school days per year, and we have 850 students. So, please be understanding if the date you request is unavailable.
- Any individual, team, event, or business may be the subject of the Spirit Rock for a limit of three days (in succession or not in succession) per calendar month. Anyone not abiding by this rule will have their reservation canceled less PTO's PayPal fees.
- What is painted on the Spirit Rock must be in good taste and may not contain any foul language, discriminatory, religious, and/or political statements and/or symbols. Profanity and obscenities are not permitted. Durbin Creek Elementary and the PTO reserve the right to cover or remove any rock design that is deemed inappropriate. Refunds will not be given.
- Character Counts here in St. Johns County; all messages should be affirming! Designs should have a caring and nurturing message. All wording and symbols must be positive.
- The rock runs on the honor system, with the hopes that everyone will respect these guidelines.
- Families, groups, or organizations must furnish their own labor, paint, and supplies to paint the rock. NO SPRAY PAINT IS ALLOWED ON CAMPUS PER ADMINISTRATION. Please only use “standard” paint on the rock – no puffy paint, no glue, no chemicals, etc.
- The family, group, or organization painting the rock assumes liability for any individual or member of the group/organization who may be injured or who incur clothing or other personal property damage.
- ONLY the rock can be painted. Painting on sidewalks, lamp posts, or buildings is prohibited. Any damage or destruction to the surrounding areas or buildings will deem the family, group, or organization financially responsible for cleaning and repair costs. THIS MEANS ALL PAINT SUPPLIES MUST STAY IN THE GRASSED AREA AND OFF THE SIDEWALK.
- You may start painting the rock at 4:00pm on the day before your reserved date(s). (i.e. If you reserved the rock for a Tuesday, you may start painting at 4:00pm on Monday evening.) The school gates will be locked at 9:00 PM daily. Therefore, you will need to paint the rock between 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM the day prior to your reservation. Rocks reserved for Monday should be painted the prior Friday between 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM.
- The DCE PTO does not give refunds on the rock. Please mark your calendar!
- If the weather is inclement, plan on painting with an umbrella in hand. Sorry, no refunds. If you can't paint the rock on your reserved day (conflict in your schedule, forgot, moving, etc.), try to trade with another family at the school.
- “Renter” supplies all painting materials.
- Latex paint (exterior) one to two quarts for background color.
a “rough” roller works best for covering the background
a secondary paint (exterior) color for the wording
small (1”) brushes or sponges work well for lettering
*Painting Tip* - Bring a piece of chalk to write any letters/words before painting!
***NO SPRAY PAINT ALLOWED ON CAMPUS!
- Bring a large trash bag to take home all items as you will need to properly discard all painting supplies at home and not on school grounds. Used paint cans are not to be placed in the campus trash bins or dumpsters. Please dispose of paint cans properly and off campus.